Do what lights you up | Pinay.com
Do what lights you up inside.
Gawin ang magaang sa kalooban.
A post from the series Pinay, Shine! 15 Ways to Connect to Liwanag and Shine. Available exclusively at Pinay.com.
Do what most enables you to fly,
and brings a feeling to the heart
that makes you glad to be alive.
This post is about letting our feelings and intuition guide us to what feels good and lights us up on the inside.
When we do the things that light us up inside we are connected to that divine spark within, our Liwanag.
We use our inner senses—inner vision, intuition and emotions, to perceive the Light that infuses all Life, within and without. We do not use our outer vision or outer senses to perceive and connect with the unseen forces of Nature.
When we can tap into this ability we are close to our true nature.
Initally, i was going to title this post as “follow what feels good” but when writer Bopeep Espiritu talked about what this meant for her she spontaneously said it in tagalog as “gawin ang magaang bagay sa kalooban” and it’s english translation “do what lights you up”! That’s so much better!
So what lights you up from the inside? What connects you to you Liwanag (Light)? You know for sure that it has little to nothing to do with material, guilty pleasures that leave you feeling empty.
For example, my mom likes to say about that serving of delicious death-by-chocolate cake—“one moment on the lips, forever on the hips.” Umm… guilty.
The feel good things we are talking about also have nothing to do with prestige and rising through the ranks of hierarchy, or any of the commercial standards of material prosperity—the house, the job, the car, designer clothes, cable TV and all the gadgets.
Gently rouse from the stupor-induced Hollywood and ad-agency illusions and stereotypes of satisfaction.
U.S. based life coach, Martha Beck herself writes that “it really has boiled down to compass versus culture. Your inner compass is now more important than ever because the [materialistic] culture that tells us what we’re supposed to be is fragmenting… stop following the culture and start following your inner compass.” Read more.
In one of Human Nature’s Pinay and Proud video interviews, television broadcast personality, Cheche Lazaro says that we Filipinos are uniquely empathetic because we“feel what we are doing and that permeates everything that we do.”
This is an important innate human trait and is key to leading us to joyful actions, great and small, that connect us to Liwanag and light us up inside.
Take stock of what the little and big joys are for you. Could they be…
- Taking an early morning run. A starlit walk.
- Holding a baby close and inhaling their sweet breath as he sleeps blissfully.
- Entwining your fingers in the hands of a toddler as you take first steps with her.
- Creating a beautiful meal to serve people you love or patrons in a restaurant… and feeling their enjoyment.
- Baking bread.
- Cooking adobo.
- Helping people with their lives. Healing people’s hurts or hearts.
- Teaching others.
Things that light me up are things like:
- My children’s smiles and laughter.
- Listening to my husband singing to me and opening up my heart to his.
- Waking up early to catch the sunrise spilling through mist, over the trees, bringing the meadow alive with the finest glimmer of a million dew drops.
- Sitting near the window, with the sunshine shimmering through the branches and leaves, through the glass, and letting the light gently infuse my inner being, bathing my mind, belly and heart with brightness.
- Creating a painting filled with color and symbolism about ancestry and love of being Filipino.
- Creating, with a dear friend, baybayin jewelry that has Filipino meaning like babae or babaylan…
- Making events for people that I myself want to attend and learn from.
- Planting flowers and seeing them grow.
What people, actions, places light you up on the inside? Take this moment to think about it. Maybe even write it down.
We are born as humans to experience both the sorrows and sweetness of life. But we may seek further purpose and feel driven to uplift not only ourselves but also others, in small or large degrees.
Listening and heeding your feelings is something that humans must master within themselves, but the real genius is simultaneously staying grounded in common sense. Learn to not be overwhelmed by emotions, and to take guidance from them in a balanced way.
The only way to do great work is to love what you do.—Steve Jobs
Sunod sa maayong palamatyagon. Follow what feels good.
Be with people who light you up.
Collect thoughts that light you up.
Do the things that make you eager to wake up every morning. if you follow what feels right for you everyday, then you’ll be excited to start your day.
We are talking of what is fulfilling to you as a creative and intelligent human being and what you can do best in life.
Doing this is also a conscious decision to be happy. Thinking of and doing the things you love to do are acts of happiness.
Choose to be happy.
Create your joyful moments.
When we follow the joy, we are lead to our purpose. And if we purposefully follow our joy then we can fulfill our destiny.
This is how you get to know your true nature, your Loob, and blossom it forth in a life you were born to live.
Send some shine with our ecards.
It's free to send an ecard when you're a member. Login or register now>
Be happy for others is up next in this series of Pinay, Shine! 15 Ways to Connect to Liwanag and Shine.
Omehra is also known as Inday Perla, Perla Daly, BagongPinay and NewFilipina.
She has been publishing websites to empower Filipinos for 20 years. More about her art, blogs, events, publishing and organizations at BagongPinay.